Tieguanyin (full name is Anxi Tieguanyin) has many other names, such as Iron Goddess, Iron Guanyin, Ti Kuan Yin. “Tie” means “Iron” and “Guanyin” means “Goddess of Mercy”.
Tieguanyin tea is a kind of Chinese oolong tea and is one of the top 10 famous Chinese tea, produced in Anxi County, Fujian Province. “Tieguanyin” is not only the name of the tea, but also the name of the variety of tea tree.
Tieguanyin tea has a unique “Guanyin Flavor (or Guanyin Yun)”. After brewing, it has natural orchid fragrance, long-lasting fragrance and has the reputation of “Still have fragrance after seven times of brewing”.
1. The history of Tieguanyin Tea
The first people who invented oolong tea was Anxi people that created oolong tea in 1725 (Qing Dynasty). Tieguanyin tea was created by Anxi people in 1725-1735.
At that time, Anxi tea farmers bred may excellent varieties of tea trees, among which the tea produced from Tieguanyin tree has the best quality.
Tieguanyin tree, a good tea tree, is not very tall, but its leaves are very tender and green. Oolong tea made from buds and leaves of Tieguanyin tree is called Tieguanyin tea.
After Tieguanyin tea came out, it quickly spread to the surrounding towns and villages. Because Tieguanyin tea has excellent quality and unique fragrance, it is imitated by tea farmers in different places.
In 1896, two Anxi people spread Tieguanyin tea to Taiwan, Guangdong, and other provinces. Afterward, as the production technology of Anxi oolong tea continually improved, Anxi oolong started to spread overseas, and Tieguanyin tea gained an increasing reputation.
Since the founding of New China, Anxi tea industry took on a new look, especially the production of Tieguanyin tea, a rare oolong tea, which established Anxi as a famous tea town in China.
2. Four kinds of Tieguanyin Teas
According to the degree of fermentation and production technology, Tieguanyin Tea can be roughly classified into fragrant, strong fragrant, mellow fragrant, and charcoal-baked Tieguanyin Tea.
- Fragrant Tieguanyin tea: the fragrant taste is light and slightly sweet. It tends to be made by modern technology. At present, it has the largest share in the market.
- Strong fragrant Tieguanyin tea: it tastes sweeter than the fragrant one and the fragrance of it is stronger. It is made by traditional technology.
- Mellow fragrant Tieguanyin tea: it is made of fragrant or strong fragrant ones after long storage repeated reprocessing. It is black in color and tastes similar to black tea and dark tea.
- Charcoal-baked Tieguanyin tea: it is made of fragrant Tieguanyin tea by baking with charcoal.
3. The health benefits of Tieguanyin Tea
Tieguanyin Tea is a kind of oolong tea, so it has all the health benefits of oolong tea:
- Losing weight
- Beautifying face
- Lowering blood lipid
- Inhibiting cardiovascular disease
- Promoting digestion and reducing the greasy sense
4. How to make/brew Tieguanyin tea
- Tea set: ceramic teapot is the best.
- The ratio of tea leaves to water: 1:20-30. 5g of Tieguanyin tea leaves need 100-150ml of water.
- The temperature of the water: 100℃.
- Brewing time: First brewing for 10-20 seconds. Second brewing for 20-30 seconds. Then increase 10-15 seconds for each subsequent brewing. High-quality Tieguanyin tea can be brewed for 5-7 times.