Houttuynia cordata tea is also called Yu Xing Cao tea in Chinese or Dokudami tea in Japanese. It is made from the rhizome of Houttuynia cordata.
Houttuynia cordata is a kind of traditional Chinese medicine, which is included in <Chinese Pharmacopoeia>. It can not only be used as a medicine, but also as food. In southwest China, Houttuynia cordata is called Zhe Er Gen (Folding ear root) and widely eaten.
Houttuynia cordata is a herbaceous plant and native to Southeast Aisa. Its whole plant can be used as a medicine, but its rhizome is most used. Houttuynia cordata is usually picked in summer and autumn. Remove impurities and residual roots, wash and cut into sections, and then dry them in the sun.
1. How to make Houttuynia cordata tea
- Houttuynia cordata can be directly brewed with boiling water, just steeping it for 10 minutes.
- If possible, mash up the Houttuynia cordata, then boil it in water for a few minutes and filter out the soup.
Houttuynia cordata tea has a fishy smell, which can’t be accepted by most people. It is best to brew Houttuynia cordata with honey, hawthorn, etc.
2. Health benefits of Houttuynia cordata tea
The efficacy of Houttuynia cordata is recorded in many traditional Chinese medicine books. It has functions of clearing away heat and toxin, eliminating swelling and treating sore, diuresis and dehumidification, strengthening stomach and helping digestion, treating lung carbuncle, hemorrhoids, and hematochezia, etc.
Houttuynia cordata is a kind of natural antibiotic, which can inhibit many kinds of microorganisms, such as hemolytic streptococcus, staphylococcus aureus, influenza bacillus, pneumococcus, etc.
The diuretic effect of Houttuynia cordata is very prominent. Studies have shown that the good diuretic effect of Houttuynia cordata is related to some of its organic matters and abundant potassium, and the good diuretic effect can help the body to expel uric acid, thereby achieving the effect of alleviating gout symptoms.
Pharmacological research shows that Houttuynia cordata has the ability to enhance the phagocytosis of granulocyte, lymphocyte, and monocyte, so it can enhance the ability of the body to resist foreign bacteria, so as to improve the immunity of the body.
Treating lung diseases
People with poor lung function are prone to lung infection, leading to upper respiratory tract infection and even some lung diseases. Houttuynia cordata has a good effect on alleviating lung inflammation and improving respiratory discomfort.
In life, many people get faucitis. For this disease, drinking Houttuynia cordata tea can have a good effect, whether it is acute pharyngitis or chronic pharyngitis.
3. Side effects of Houttuynia cordata tea
The toxicity of Houttuynia cordata tea is very small, but Houttuynia cordata injection may cause allergic reactions, such as drug dermatitis, peripheral neuritis, allergic purpura and so on.
- Some people may have allergic reactions when drinking Houttuynia cordata tea.
- Pregnant women are not suitable for long-term drinking of Houttuynia cordata tea.
- As Houttuynia cordata tea has a cold nature, people with physical deficiency and cold, such as cold hands and feet, should not drink it for a long time.