Chinese rose tea is made from rose flowers with black tea leaves or green tea leaves, which are called rose black tea or rose green tea. They have all the health benefits of black tea or green tea, and also have benefits and fragrance of the rose.
Rose is a kind of precious medicinal material. It has the effects of skincare, activating meridians, softening blood vessels and has significant effects on cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, hypertension, heart diseases, and gynecology. These efficacies have been recorded in <Compendium of Materia Medica>.
1. Rose tea in China
Rose is native to China, Korea, and Japan. In the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), Gu Yuanqing, a tea expert, wrote a tea book called <Cha Pu>, which recorded in detail how to make rose tea.
Besides, Liu Bowen, a statesman and poet in the late Yuan Dynasty and early Ming Dynasty, recorded rose tea in his book called <Duo Neng Bi Shi>.
Nowadays, rose black tea is mainly produced in Guangdong Province; rose green tea is mainly produced in Fujian Province; Zhejiang Province mainly produces Jiu Qu rose black tea, which is a very famous rose black tea made with the famous black tea called Jiu Qu Hong Mei.
The raw materials for making rose tea are mainly French rose, Yunnan rose produced in Yunnan Province, Pingyin rose produced Pingyin County of Shandong Province, etc.
2. Process of making Chinese rose tea
- Preparing rose: after roses are picked, wash them, remove flower pistils and filter old and bad rose flowers.
- Making tea base: rose black/green tea is made on basis of black/green tea leaves. These black/green tea leaves are called Tea Base. Sometimes rose tea is made with yellow tea leaves, so it is called rose yellow tea.
- Mixing rose and tea basis: Mix roses and tea base to let tea base absorb the fragrance of roses.
- Drying: dry the mixed stuff to reduce the water content of them.
It is just a rough process. The actual process is very complex, especially the high-quality rose black/green tea.
3. Health benefits of Chinese rose tea
First of all, the rose black/green tea has all health benefits of black tea or green tea. Here are the main benefits of rose:
Rose is rich in vitamin A, B, C, E, K, and tannic acid, which improve endocrine disorders, and also help to eliminate fatigue and wound healing. Rose tea has many effects and functions. Regularly drinking it can nourish the body and warm the heart.
Rose has the effects of regulating blood and Qi (a TCM term means power) and promoting blood circulation, which can treat women’s menstrual problems. In Chinese folk, people use rose and brown sugar to boil tea, which can nourish blood.
Nourishing spleen and stomach
Rose can nourish and improve the physiological functions of spleen and stomach, which can treat belching and abdominal distension.
Rose contains rich vitamin, which can effectively eliminate free radicals and pigmentation, moisturize skin, improve dry skin and endocrine disorders, make skin delicate, tender, and rejuvenated.
Calming nerves and antidepressant
According to traditional Chinese medicine, the rose has the functions of calming nerves, soothing and antidepressant. In today’s increasingly stressful work and life, we can drink some rose tea to calm and regulate mood.
The tannic acid contained in rose has a close relationship with fat metabolism. Appropriate intake of tannic acid can promote fat metabolism, so rose tea has the effect of reducing fat and losing weight.
Improving halitosis (Bad breath)
Rose contains a variety of phenols, such as geraniol and nerol, so regularly drinking rose tea can improve halitosis.
4. Precaution of drinking Chinese rose tea
- People with constipation should not drink rose tea. Rose tea has astringent properties that slow down intestinal mobility and increase the severity of constipation symptoms.
- People with internal heat should not drink rose tea. The characteristics of rose tea are warm and hot. If drink it, people with strong internal heat may suffer dry mouth, sore throat, and other symptoms.
- Pregnant women should not drink rose tea. Rose tea has a strong function of regulating blood. It is not recommended to drink it during pregnancy. Because the development of the fetus in early pregnancy is not stable, it is easy to be affected.
5. Identify the quality of Chinese rose tea
The brewed rose black tea or rose green tea is not very red. Its color is similar to black tea or green tea, or light red. If the brewed rose black/green tea is very red, it may be added pigment and it may be a low-quality rose tea.